New Mom Hospital Survival Kit
You’ve been invited to a baby shower, and now you need to come up with a gift idea. Are you looking for something different and original to bring to a baby shower? You don’t want to get your gift lost in the sea of rattles, onesies , teddy bears and blankets, right? Odds are, the mom-to-be could use a little pampering herself. No one ever thinks of the most important person doing all of the work.
I asked myself when I was trying to come up with an idea for an old friend who invited me to her baby shower, what am I going to give her?
My usual go-to gift is to make someone a baby blanket, which has become expected of me, but I was just not feeling inspired to be making another blanket. As I was trying to come up with something original, as I loathe buying something typical or using a gift registry (I know I know “it’s what they want” I’m not putting down registries, I just avoid them ) I seen a post on Facebook from my friend showing all the clothes and toys she already had for the baby. Then it occurred to me. The last thing she needed was more baby stuff, and she was about to have this shower. I got to thinking, No one ever thinks about the mom! Everyone (including myself) can’t help but buy all the tiny, cute items, which she will most likely be buried in. I then thought back to my own time in the hospital with my two girls. Almost everyone I know packs a bag for the baby, but do not think of anything for themselves (as all parents do). I came up with these items that come in very handy in a dry, sterile and boring hospital room. I hope this will inspire you too to pamper the mama. I have embedded links for quick ordering of the items I mentioned if you would like to build yourself a similar case.
I bought a Caboodles Train Case and used it for the packaging of the gift. You can use any box/bag/pouch you feel would be fitting. I chose the train case because it is definitely something that could be used again (for future travel or storage)
I filled up the case with the following items and gave you some of the reasoning behind what I chose. You may choose to put in snacks or nice makeup etc. Remember, it’s about pampering the mama and making her comfortable.
- Purell – There are so many people who will want to hold the new baby, and I am not one to be shy to make people slather this on to keep from spreading their germs to the baby. Hospitals are very full of germs
- Disinfectant Spray – As for the same reason as above, Hospitals can be hotbeds for germs and viruses
- EOS Lip Balm – Hospitals are very dry and are horrible for the lips. Nice to have some good quality lip balm near by
- Hot Hands – This items is not for its name. This is for the painful breast pain a new mommy experiences after birth. Trust me. This in itself may be the best gift in the pack.
- Nivea Lotion – Also for the dry, sterile air of the hospital
- Treseme Dry Shampoo – For a little freshening up, as who knows when you will get a real shower
- Wet Ones – Instant shower!!
- Q-Tips – self explanatory
- A Soothing sounds Jazz CD – Just in case some background music was needed
- Altoids – also for that dry hospital air that makes your throat dry
- Starbucks Gift Card – My friend had stated one of the first things she wanted after having this baby was a Frappucino so I indulged her with a $25 gift card
This is just an example of how thinking outside of the box in gift giving and DIY can be fun and exciting. You can create memorable gifts and have fun with the creation process. I am happy to say this gift was well received by mom and her guests at the shower. This is the first time I have done a themed gift pack like this and I am looking forward to doing some more and look forward to sharing my projects
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see our disclosures here.